Thursday 12 August 2010

FILM CHALLENGE: 93) Rushmore

93) Rushmore

Director: Wes Anderson
Year: 1998

Plot Summary: Max is a homely 10th-grade scholarship boy at Rushmore, a private school where he fails classes but constantly organizes clubs and plays. He befriends a depressed local factory magnate, Blume, and falls for a recently widowed teacher, Ms. Cross.

Putting your finger on what has made Rushmore such a cult classic over the last decade, even after my third viewing, is almost impossible to do.

It's driven mainly by its bizarre cast of characters instead of an actual plot, but, frankly, Rushmore doesn't suffer for it the way that some movies do. In fact, the lack of any narrative doesn't even dawn on you until later reflection. This is because, first of all, every one of these characters are so well drawn. Max, for example, is a boy who hasn't lived through his first heartbreak, hasn't suffered adult disappointment and doesn't know the meaning of passivity: He's bursting with a deep enthusiasm for life. As he schemes to impress schoolteacher Miss Cross, he needs the help of business tycoon and school patron Mr. Blume. Blume, tired of his family, his job and life itself, needs someone like Max around and lets the youngster go to town.

Secondly, Rushmore is also spectacularly well written. Watching these characters engage with each other for just under an hour and a half is, surprisingly, part of what makes Anderson's movie so much fun. It's got a quirky sense of humour that is truly one of a kind and, in spite of the bizarre concept, it has a huge heart.

Thirdly, every one of these characters are fantastically performed. Jason Schwartzman does a great job in the lead role as Max Fisher. Despite the scattered, frantic quality to his character's pursuit of everything - courting Miss Cross, writing plays based on seminal '70s films and engaging in endless activities, from kite-flying to chess club - Jason gives Max an irresistible quality. Bill Murray in a career reviving role as the dead-pan Mr. Blume also must be praised here.

But the star of the show and the sole reason I'd recommend everyone to watch this is the man behind the camera: Wes Anderson. His unique style makes Rushmore a delight to behold and Anderson seems unable to compose an uninteresting shot.

An poignant, funny and fresh comedy that demands a viewing.

4/5

By Daniel Sarath with 4 comments

4 comments:

I think this is still in my all-time top 20. I love it. I relate to Max Fischer so much. The film is a comfortable staple in my life too, where everything ahead was potential and everything I had was organized.

You ever heard Jason Schwartzman's band Coconut Records? I listened to Nighttiming this week and I'm goddamn addicted to it. You should check it out.

I don't share that opinion but I wouldn't begrudge anyone in having it. I can perfectly see why it'd be in anyones list of favourite movies.

No, I'll have to check it out! I had no idea he was in a band. :)

Oh, and I literally just watched his show Bored To Death and it was awesome!

Just saw an advert for that! It looked pretty funny. :)

Post a Comment