Wednesday 14 July 2010

FILM CHALLENGE: 68) Naked

68) Naked


Director: Mike Leigh
Year: 1993

Plot Summary: Johnny flees Manchester for London, to avoid a beating from the family of a girl he has raped. There he finds an old girlfriend, and spends some time homeless, spending much of his time ranting at strangers, and meeting characters in plights very much like his own.

My favourite film by British director Mike Leigh is, quite controversially, Happy Go Lucky. To me, that film is as close to perfection as Leigh has ever come, featuring his usual existentialism, social realism and improvised style alongside an upbeat, charming and life-affirming coming-of-age story. However, while Naked, which many consider is one of his greatest achievements, has all the usual stylistic trademarks, it couldn't be any further removed in its tone and style than Happy Go Lucky.

There's nothing uplifting to be found here; Naked is as harrowing, disturbing and upsetting as any British movie I've seen, and unlike similarly toned movies such as Fish Tank or Ratcatcher, there is little hope or redemption for the characters anywhere. Nevertheless, despite how hard it is to watch, there's a lot to appreciate about Naked. It is more realistic than any movie Leigh has made before or after, has some stunning performances from the cast, is terrifically written using improvisational techniques and touches on some difficult themes of depression, fatalism, nihilism and what it means to be alive.

Unfortunately though, Naked is the kind of film that you admire more than you like. Not just because of the difficult aforementioned themes and tone, but also because none of the characters are likeable. That's not to say I believe the characters should be changed or that its a fault of the filmmakers - their actions and personalities are crucial to exploring the main ideas of the film - but, naturally, the way they are means it's impossible to connect to them. It's a brave move on behalf of Leigh and one that I admire, but it means that the enjoyment of Naked is sacrificed.

Moreover, the narrative itself, while it does make you think about some important themes, isn't very engaging. After all, Naked is merely a series of encounters. Once again, it's a style that I admire Leigh for taking on and there's nothing at fault about it. Moreover, the ideas that shine through in these encounters and the discussions that take place are interesting. But it's almost impossible to feel engaged by it.

Far from an enjoyable piece of work, but an admirably thought-provoking drama from Mike Leigh.

3/5

By Daniel Sarath with 6 comments

6 comments:

Happy-go-lucky is my favorite mike leigh film too!!! =] Have you seen seen secrets and lies? That ones really good too.

Yes! I have! :) Only it was ages and ages ago when my film taste was... let's say... a little embarrassing. :P Haha. So obviously I didn't really like it. But i'd really like to watch it again. :)

Mike Leigh is my all-time favourite director. This is my second favourite of his films behind Secrets & Lies. Both are perfect, as is High Hopes and Happy-Go-Lucky is in my top 100. The rest of my top 15 Leigh would make top 250.

It was the first film I saw in 2009 and here was my immediate thoughts:

Probably the most devastating film I'll ever see. One way of life shown through a rich and a poor person. Their view is that there is no point in life and that it'll end very soon anyway so they can do whatever they want. Johnny (David Thewlis) - the poor -believes that the apocalypse will happen in 1999 so theres no point in making a life for himself. Jeremy (Greg Cruttwell) - the rich - claims that he will commit suicide when he's 40 because he doesn't want to get old. The two characters connection are through Johnny's friends roommates Louis and Sophie. Such a bleak and raw film, captures the characters lives magnificently. The [improvised] dialogue is absolute genius - another reason to respect the performances so much. It's almost too powerful and dangerously convincing. Darkly hilarious I must add. The anti-life affirming film.

Hahaha! The anti-life affirming film. I'm loving that! :P

I forgot to mention how funny I found the film actually.
I'm glad you brought that up.
It helped to bring a lot of realism to the darkness of the whole movie. :)

Still, I maintain that it's a movie I appreciate more than I adore.
Perhaps that's just because it was so bleak and hopeless. :P

Yeah, I understand that sense of discomfort people get from absorbing it. I get a numb sense of fascination. Then that sinking feeling only Naked has ever achieved.

I stupidly decided to rewatch it on Monday and it took me until I saw Toy Story 3 to actually cheer me the fuck up again. Didn't go online at all yesterday, haha. It's a masterpiece, I love all the discussion pieces. I don't know, I get a good (but guilty) kick out analyzing it visually and digesting all the ideas they cook. Plus it's like the loner (Johnny) keeping the lonely (all the strangers) company... the film feels like that for me. And just as unpleasant but endearing as Johnny.

Post a Comment

    • Popular
    • Categories
    • Archives