Tuesday 13 July 2010

FILM CHALLENGE: 67) Chungking Express

67) Chungking Express


Director: Wong Kar Wai
Year: 1994

Plot Summary: Two stories, two lovelorn cops, two objects of desire: one a big-time heroin dealer in deep trouble with her boss after the cargo disappears, the other a seriously flaky take-out waitress who inadvertently gets hold of the keys to her admirer's apartment.

I love Chungking Express in a way that I love very few other films. Like a great, catchy pop song, it's a movie that as soon as its finished you will want to rewind and watch all over again. After all, from the very first second, it will make you feel like your eyes have literally jumped out of their sockets. Christopher Doyle's spellbinding cinematography features an endless flurry of colour and style that gives Chungking Express both a hypnotic and hallucinatory effect and places you right into the lifestyle of 1990s Hong Kong.

In many ways, Chungking Express is, in fact, a love letter to the country and the Chungking Mansions in which the narratives are set. This is apparent through the way that the two stories parallel the British handover of Hong Kong to China. The film was made during this period of transition and these first 45 minutes perfectly sum up the feelings that the country's people experienced during that time.

The use of Western motifs, for example, such as the appearances of songs by The Cranberries and Mamas And Papas, numerous logos for Western products and a character who dreams of visiting California in the second segment, seem to portray the longing for things to remain the same. Moreover, the character of May, the use of the expiry dates and the roles of the British and Chinese characters in the first segment equally evoke a foreboding about the consequences of what is going to happen.

Actually, it's less of a love letter than it is a farewell letter to the Hong Kong that was about to change into something else.

But, this movie isn't just a farewell letter, it's also a celebration of Hong Kong with its onslaught of neon logos, frantic lifestyle and, especially, it's ethnic and cultural diversity. This diversity is symbolised through both the fact that the narrative defies genre mixing crime and noir elements with comedy and romance and through the soundtrack's use of ska, pop, jazz, easy listening and classical music.

The first segment is certainly the most accessible of the two; playing out like a crime story that is also rich in humour, existentialism and philosophy and while this used to be my favourite of the two, it has now become the second one. These last 45 minutes feel almost like a modern remake of Godard's A Bout De Souffle in its lack of narrative and development. However, while Godard's classic was more of an experiment in film technique, attempting to provide a distinction between the old theatrical style of cinema and show that the medium could stand alone in its art, this segment in Chungking Express uses the approach to evoke an emotional response to the images, themes and sound. While it's not the most captivating 45 minutes in terms of storytelling, it's as entrancing as anything that has ever been filmed and will leave you tingling with joy as the film reaches its beautiful climax.

If there's anything to take from this review, it's this: Words alone don't do justice to this innovative, exciting, spellbinding, post-modern masterpiece.

5/5

By Daniel Sarath with 8 comments

8 comments:

I love this film like words can't describe. With its genuinely adorable style, it's a film made on the fly with every perfect moment a fluke, but it's the examination of how to deal with love that I find most profound.

Didn't he make this when production got shut down on his other movie or something?

We watched it in Film Studies in college and I hated it first time around. In fact, I full on refused to write about it in my exam because I disliked it that much. :P But the more I watch it, the more I fall in love with it. :)

Yeah, the first segment is one of the best little stories about loss that I've seen and it's only 45 minutes long! :P Plus, it's so warm and full of life that you instantly connect with it.

Still think the second part is when it really shines though. Not just cause Faye Wong is a babe either. :)

Really? Why did you hate it?

He did it while there was some complications on Ashes of Time and he was feeling unfulfilled.

I like a lot of both halves but I think the first part is more memorable if just for Cop 223's narration ("when I fall out of love, I go running, it sweats out the tears" and "at our closest point of intimacy we are 0.001 centimetres away from each other")

P.S. I got no freakin idea why sometimes I'm SonnyGideon and other times Travis.

Oh, you seen Fallen Angels? I like it almost as much (which is a shit ton).

I just felt it was a massively egotistical piece of work. At first, I thought it was stylistic just for the sake of it and that Wong Kar Wai simply intended to make a film showcasing how good this style could be with no regards for story. That and I hated the way it was split into two separate narratives.

Just looking back on that makes me cringe! :P

No, actually, this and In The Mood For Love are the only film's I have seen by him. I watched half of the latter and turned it off I was so bored, but I'm thinking of watching it tomorrow to see if, once again, my judgement was way off. :P

I'll put Fallen Angels on my Love Film list now!

Hot damn. I love Kar Wai. He's brilliant.

I had to study this for fs aswell. Did you go it in in a-levels for new waves? My whole class hated it and i was the only one who thought it was good lol.

Seeing the video..i have decided to watch the movie right away! thanks for sharing!


Farewell Letter To Boss

Post a Comment

    • Popular
    • Categories
    • Archives