Saturday 17 July 2010

End Of The Month Review - June To July

Top 10 Films Of The Month

10. Winter's Bone

Director:
Debra Granik

Year:
2010

My review:
"Hits you in such a powerful way that you can't help but look on."





09. Finding Nemo

Director:
Andrew Stanton

Year:
2003

My review:
"A ride through the ocean that is as brilliant as a animation can get."





08. The Wages Of Fear

Director:
Henri-Georges Clouzot

Year:
1953

My review:
"One of the finest foreign films in the history of cinema."





07. The Incredibles

Director:
Brad Bird

Year:
2004

My Review:
"A fantastically fun movie with both brains and a heart. If that's not the very essence of Pixar, I don't know what is."




06. The Prestige

Director:
Christopher Nolan

Year:
2006

My Review:
"Nolan has crafted an intelligent, puzzling, brilliantly told mystery story here with a dramatic edge that will continue to bring you back for more and more viewings."



05. Seven Samurai

Director:
Akira Kurasawa

Year:
1954

My Review:
"Epic, influential, near perfect filmmaking from a true master of his profession."





04. Inception

Director:
Christopher Nolan

Year:
2010

My Review:
"A true original that will stop you heart with it's sheer intelligence, stunning imagery and breathtaking story."




03. Chungking Express

Director:
Wong Kar Wai

Year:
1994

My Review:
"Words alone don't do justice to this innovative, exciting, spellbinding, post-modern masterpiece."




02. La Haine

Director:
Mathieu Kassovitz

Year:
1995

My Review:
"An innovative and important work of cinema and one that is stunningly filmed, expertly written, features some amazing performances and provides a brutal insight into the lives of those living in the French suburbs."



01. Chinatown

Director:
Roman Polanski

Year:
1974

My Review:
"Essential viewing. A masterpiece on all counts."

By Daniel Sarath with 5 comments

5 comments:

Yay, La Haine so high. :). Would it make top 100 for you?

Check out my updated top 50, dude. :) It's ranked at... Drum roll... 48! :)
I almost moved Chungking Express into the top 50 but I think it just barely missed out.

Haha, #45 you mean! Nice. :). Chungking just makes top 80 for me I think. I see you made other updates, looks very nice, besides Waterfront moving out of top 10. :(. I gotta rewatch Lives of Others sooner rather than later.

I changed it twice actually. :P Haha.

I'm really into very visual and cinematic movies at the moment. So some of the more literary ones like To Kill A Mockingbird have moved down and been overtaken by The Diving Bell And The Butterfly, La Haine, etc.

Yeah, I'm not sure On The Waterfront is quite top 10 material.
Especially when you compare it against Taxi Driver and A Clockwork Orange who really deserve that place. :)

I dunno, ACO has been growing off me lately (my favourite Kubrick is FMJ and he is my #3 behind Leigh and W. Anderson). Taxi Driver definitely deserves top drawer though. I think On The Waterfront is way more important, emotionally, socially and to cinema.

Post a Comment

    • Popular
    • Categories
    • Archives