Wednesday 19 May 2010

FILM CHALLENGE: 06) In Bruges

06) In Bruges

Directed by Martin McDonagh
Released in 2008

The best way to review this comedy about two hitmen in hiding would be to simply list the immense number of side-splittingly hilarious moments. For example, Ray's child like excitement when he discovers that "They're filming midgets!". Or when crime boss Harry expresses his passionate love of the town by arguing "How can f**king swans not be somebody's f**king thing?". Or even Ken and Ray's debate as to whether it's moral to kill a lollypop man if he's Chinese and knows karate. After all, In Bruges is a film that constantly makes you howl uncontrollably with laughter. There are moments when the jokes come so hard and fast that you can hardly find a moment to breathe.

However, while the obvious strong point of the film is its politically incorrect but extremely clever humour, you'd be hard pressed to deny that there's actually a great narrative here too. As the story slowly reveals the reasons why the two characters are in this medeival town and what they are to do there, interesting themes of existentialism and symbolism of purgatory start to reveal themselves. Furthermore, you start feel sympaphy for Ray despite the terrible act he has committed. You side with him and hope he finds redemption, a refreshing quality for a genre of comedy that is so often populated by two-dimenstional cliches.

Ray is superbly performed by Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson, who plays Ken, is as good as ever. But it's Ralph Fieness who you are left wanting more of. He even delivers the standout line in my opinion: "You're an inanimate f**king object!"

In Bruges is a one-of-a-kind film that is funny, sad, thought-provoking and utterly original. Sure, its not without its faults, but seeing as I'm going to bed with aches all across my body from laughing so hard, I'd say its done a very successful job!


4/5




By Daniel Sarath with 3 comments

3 comments:

Looking back, I found it rather hit or miss for the comedy, has it just prays you'll agree with its various vulgarities there's not all that much wit involved. I'm always befuddled when people say it's a masterpiece but I enjoyed it enough to not have a solid argument against them. I do, however, agree with your second paragraph specifically about the tones it explores, especially the aforementioned existialism. That's always what I like to see, haha. It is a good film, the acting knocks it up a notch too. Should revisit.

- Jack Moulton

It's far from a masterpiece and I wouldn't watch it regularly, but it's still as funny as any comedy I've seen in the last few years.

It is vulgar and offensive, sure, but I do also think it has its moments where wit is involved. Not as much as say 500 Days Of Summer, of course, but its there.

For example, I think it quite cleverly turns a mirror onto the cliches of a hitman film and pokes fun at them. Especially in the finale where Harry tells the woman who tries to come between the action: "Don't be stupid. This is the shoot out!"

Guess who coincidentally brought In Bruges to college today? Not me, but a friend with good taste. I urged him to put it on because of this for the second chance.

It was better, haha. Not really for the humour, though the scene you mention there with the final shootout is the funniest (and the karate chop gets a giggle from me). I really appreciated where the writing finally got genius and just all neatly tied together seemlessly without much contrivance - very impressive. Also the poignancy, how it never indulges in melodrama, sticking to what it knows. It approaches its existential themes of morality so delicately but with aggressive force. That's the biggest compliment I can give it.

I should rate them with ya, and I guess I agree with a 8/10 but not for the same reasons. Inventive swearing needs more layers to be funny (see also: In The Loop).

Post a Comment