Sunday 16 May 2010

Challenge: 500 Films in 365 Days.

Eddie who? If you think that running 43 marathons in 51 days is hard, wait until you see what challenge I have decided to task myself with over the next 12 months. It's going to take a lot of will-power, force me to push myself further than I ever have before and will put both my health and my sanity at risk: Yes, I will be attempting to watch 500 films in 365 days.


Okay, so it's not that great. The only suffering that will take place in this challenge is my social life and the biggest health risk I will face is becoming even more lazy. However, it's still a fairly tough challenge as far as film watching goes. After all, it does mean that I will probably have to watch two or three films a day on a number of occasions to keep myself on track for reaching my target.

Other than the fact I have nothing better to do, I believe that participating in this challenge will expand my knowledge of cinema and its history. I also believe that it will introduce me to a whole host of new movies I've never heard of before, will educate me on the cultures and values of places far away from my own and will allow me to better grasp aspects of film theory and film-making processes. Most importantly though, it will keep me committed to this blog which I know is immensely loved by so many people from around the world.*

However, before I start, as they do with most challenges, I have decided to give myself some ground rules:

01) I cannot include the same film twice.
02) I must watch the film from start to finish no matter how bad it is.
03) The films must be feature length and not short films or TV episodes.
04) I must write short reviews of the films on here to prove I've watched it and explain the details of what it was I saw.
05) Documentaries are included.

Well...I have nothing else to say... Let my challenge begin!

*This asterisk is for those who are unaware of my sarcasm.

By Daniel Sarath with 2 comments

2 comments:

It's the writing of mini-reviews that's most challenging patience-wise. Good luck to ya. I remember managing um... 684 films in 2008. I didn't keep track in 2009 but I am again now, and I haven't hit 100 yet. Anyway, to make your life feel worth living, I shall comment on as much as I can!

- Jack Moulton

Thanks Jack! I was thinking of increasing the number to 600 but university and holidays may stunt the challenge a wee bit. I'll reply to every comment so feel free to chat as much as you like! :)

Post a Comment