Tuesday 18 May 2010

FILM CHALLENGE: 03) The Ladykillers

03) The Ladykillers


Directed by Alexander Mackendrick
Released in 1955

While it's always been regarded as a 'classic' British comedy film, I've never had any intention to watch The Ladykillers before. However, I decided to watch it this morning and it's actually a very amusing mix of comedy and crime.

Alec Guinness and his four criminal accomplices all turn out great performances in this darkly comic story of a heist that takes place right under the nose of an innocent, lonely old lady. As the heist unfolds and the old lady grows wise to their plan, things go from bad to worse for the criminals with hilarious results.

In many ways, you can see where directors Joel and Ethan Coen found their inspiration for such black comedies as Fargo and The Big Lebowski. It has a fast pace and sharp dialogue that almost reminds you of a slapstick movie, but is all the while centred around themes such as murder and betrayal. The characters are all eccentric in their own brilliant ways, the direction of the film is as foreboding as a film noir yet as whimsical as a silent movie, and the script hits you with constant unexpected twists and turns that are both madcap and extremely amusing.

It's a great example of an early black comedy that keeps you laughing, keeps you guessing, makes you cringe and makes you gasp right from the first minute. I would have no reservations about watching it again soon.

4/5

By Daniel Sarath with 2 comments

2 comments:

Ealing's are alright. It's just a shame that the sound and framing are dreadful and uncomfortable. If it's not the annoying accents (and I know we're both Brits), it's the awkward silences, or even worse, a score. Bah. But the writing is sharp as nuts which is cool. I remember enjoying it. No belly laughs though. Beats the Coen's one, which I actually enjoyed too, haha.

- Jack Moulton

No, I didn't howl with laughter at all, but I don't think a smile ever left my face either.

I haven't seen the Coen's one yet, but having heard terrible things, I really think I shouldn't.

Annoying accents? How dare you, Jack! Alec Guinness brings me joy whenever he opens his mouth! Haha.

Post a Comment