Monday 24 May 2010

FILM CHALLENGE: 10) The Back Up Plan

10) The Back Up Plan

Directed by Alan Poul
Released in 2010

The biggest problem with this challenge is that I do have to include every film I see, even the ones that I'm dragged to kicking and screaming by friends who share an entirely different taste than myself. This weekend, I was dragged in a similar style to see The Back Up Plan. For me, films like this are the lowest standard of cinema. However, I decided that I would at least try to keep an open mind nonetheless and not judge a book by its cover.

Therefore, I'll start with the positives: It had a nice opening animated sequence that set the tone for what was about to come fairly well. It was short. It... Um... Well, to be honest with you that's about it. If I was to name the negatives, on the other hand, it would probably take you just as long to read this blog post as it would to watch Springsteen in concert.

Before I even mention the acting, the characters, the story or the direction, it's important to say that there is nothing humorous about the film whatsoever. The writers seemed to mistake people falling over, spilling wine, fainting, walking funny and making strange noises for comedy and after about the 10 minute mark the 'jokes' already start to become repetitive, obvious and annoying. Also, around that same point, you can guess exactly what is going to happen for the next hour and 20 minutes. I've seen cliched films before and I know how obvious some stories can be, but you would have to have been living under the Taliban's regime to be surprised by anything in The Back Up Plan.

Since when has acting stopped being the art of bringing to life a written character and become walking around looking attractive too? The acting in this film was so wooden that, to paraphrase Mark Kermode, it was like being sat in Ikea for 90 minutes. Moreover, the direction was sloppy, rushed and lazy and you can almost tell that, Alan Poul (who was, shockingly, one of the directors and producers of the awesome Six Feet Under) couldn't care less about what he was committing to the screen.

However, can you blame him? Especially when the script gives you characters like these who are so loathsome. They are stereotypical, two-dimensional and, at times, the movie is unquestionably sexist as Zoe cares about one thing and one thing only in the course of this narrative: having a baby to solve her loneliness. That's right, according to this film, she couldn't commit herself more to her work or take up any activities and there's no way her friends could do anything to help her become less lonely. The only solution is to do what a woman does best: Give birth.

I'd rather drink bleach while shoving a knife in a toaster and standing on broken glass than watch this film again.

0/5

By Daniel Sarath with 10 comments

10 comments:

Have you ever seen Seven? It was like the cinematic equivalent of that torture thing they used in the brothel in Seven.

Actually, Se7en is the film I've seen the most times ever. I'm using it as my Hollywood example in Film Studies at the moment. Gotta review it in 100 words. Impossible task.

I love that film until the ending. Those last ten minutes are so obvious that it takes the film down from being a 9/10 to a 7/10 in my opinion. Such a shame.

Ouch! If you think that's hard, try doing an analysis of Synechdoche New York in a 5 minute powerpoint presentation. I had to do that as part of my coursework last year and, needless to say, I went slightly over the time limit. :|

What's wrong with Se7en's ending? It epitomizes the film's entire point. There's gotta be more than predictability behind it that chugs it down a few.

Maybe I'm judging it a bit too harshly and a revisit might change my opinion. But I remember watching it and getting to the scene where Kevin Spacey's lawyer says something to the effect of there being one more body and him taking the officers to it.

From there on, as much as it's suitable to the narrative, you can tell exactly what is going to happen. What annoys me most though is that Fincher still tries to build up the tension and suspense as if you don't already know. I always feel like it was very... Patronising? I can't think of the right word for it but I hope you get what I mean.

It just sorely disappointed me after it being SO good.

Zodiac will always be Fincher's masterpience. :)

It's a very on the surface perspective which a rewatch will really benefit from. I get what you mean, but there's so much more to it that you're missing. Revisit it soon so we don't have this conversation on an abortion :)

I saw the DVD for £3 in HMV the other day, so I'll pick it up and write my thoughts on here this week. :)

Excellent. Look forward to convincing you how much of a masterpiece it is. ;)

And Zodiac his masterpiece? Not a Fight Club fan? (I love FC as much as Se7en, both for entertainment and intellectually). But lets save that discussion for when you watch Se7en. :P

Fight Club is stunning. I'll always have a soft spot for it as it was one of the films - along with Children Of Men and Pan's Labyrinth - that got me into cinema. But I just think Zodiac has the edge on it that slightest bit. For me it goes:

Zodiac
Fight Club
The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button
Seven
The Game

Post a Comment