Saturday 11 September 2010

127 Hours - Another award season for Danny Boyle?


My interest in Danny Boyle's new film 127 Hours has gone through a number of stages. At first, I was curious to see how the Oscar winning director of Slumdog Millionaire would tackle such a different kind of story. Then, when the trailer was released a few weeks ago, I felt underwhelmed by what I saw and believed that, while it would be a good effort like his horror movie 28 Days Later or his claustrophobic sci-fi story Sunshine, it wouldn't meet the level of greatness that many will come to expect from him. However, the reviews have been flooding in from Toronto and now my expectations couldn't be any higher. Alongside reports that it was so intense members of the audience were in need of medical attention, it has been described as brilliant, gut-wrenching, moving, spellbinding and astonishing by a number of critics. Does this mean he could be in line for another nomination for Best Director next year?



By Daniel Sarath with 4 comments

4 comments:

I've been consistently looking forward to this ever since word of it came out. Slumdog has given me faith in Boyle's ability to wow on first viewing even if it doesn't stick. Actually, Boyle became my favourite director of all-time when I first saw Sunshine, I had like 4 of his in my top 10 of all-time, and Trainspotting was the fourth, hehe. My enthusiasm diminished and I thought Slumdog looked pretty crappy. But then I saw it and it became my favourite of his. It's now slipped off my list and Trainspotting is in the lower tier that's all what's left, but I got faith in 127 Hours being nearly as good.

Trainspotting is still one of my favourite films simply because it's so vibrant and energetic and it really kicked off a new kind of British cinema. I like the others a lot but I wouldn't call any of them masterpieces. However, the way he effortlessly switches from one genre to another constantly amazes me.

You should make blogpost for all your predictions so I can commment on them. :)

Good idea! I'll be on it tonight. :D

Post a Comment

    • Popular
    • Categories
    • Archives