Wednesday 9 June 2010

FILM CHALLENGE: 28) Insomia

28) Insomnia


Director: Christopher Nolan
Year: 2002

Plot Summary: A police detective is sent from the city to investigate the murder of a teenage girl in a small Alaskan town. 24 hour daylight and the weight of guilt about a previous case causes the detective to have insomnia and, as a result, accidentally shoot his own partner when trying to apprehend a suspect. However, instead of admitting his guilt, he covers up the truth.

Insomnia is one of those films that you forget how good it is. Perhaps, because it's the weakest of Nolan's incredible body of movies, I seem to think that it's only an average detective thriller. But it's so much more than that.

Reminiscent of something Hitchcock would have created, it is a tense, beautifully shot and very intelligent study of the effects of guilt disguised as a mystery story.

Moreover, there are very few films in which the setting complements the narrative so effectively. The Alaskan town serves as an almost purgatory like state for Pacino's character as he replays the events of his past investigations and the 'accidental' murder of his partner and finds himself conflicted by what he believes is right and wrong.

I say 'accidental' in quote marks because it's never clear to the viewer whether he killed his partner to stop him from speaking out about the aforementioned past cases or whether it was genuinely an accident. In fact, as the insomnia grows worse, even Pacino's character begins to doubt what happened. This is something I've always praised Nolan for; he never patronises his viewers and lets you make your own judgements for yourself.

Sure, it's not the post 9/11 influenced crime epic that was The Dark Knight, it's not the masterfully told puzzle of The Prestige or the breathtaking examination on memory that Memento was, so it's easy to forget Insomnia's genius. However, it really is another brilliant film from the God that is Christopher Nolan and one of the most interesting mystery stories of the last decade.

4/5

By Daniel Sarath with 3 comments

3 comments:

Nolan is God, huh? Unlike Memento, I totally forget about this film all the time. I think I liked it.

You should put what viewing of the film it is, if you remember. I mean, first and second is quite distinct but so can third and fourth. If not, 'numerous repeat'. :)

Yeah, I always forget about Insomnia because it isn't quite as unique as the rest of his work. So I always think it's not that good as a result. But it's actually pretty ace! :)

I know, I have considered that. But sometimes it feels a bit redundant if my opinion stays the same.

However, if I watch a film for the 2nd or 3rd time and I like it more or less, I'll be sure to mention what viewing it is from now on. :)

Well. Not for the sake of people who don't know your opinion, hint hint. ;). Since I believe your rule in this 500 film thing is to not repeat any.

Post a Comment

    • Popular
    • Categories
    • Archives