Monday 21 June 2010

FILM CHALLENGE: 42) Toy Story 3

42) Toy Story 3

Director: Lee Unkrich

Year: 2010

Plot Summary: Andy is now 17 and ready to head off to college, leaving Woody, Buzz, Jessie, and the rest of the toy-box gang to ponder their uncertain futures. When the toys are accidentally donated to the Sunnyside Daycare center they're initially overjoyed to once again be played with, but their enthusiasm quickly gives way to horror as they discover the true nature of the establishment under the rule of the deceptively welcoming "Lotso" Bear. Now, all of the toys must band together in one final, crazy scheme to escape their confines and return home to Andy.

When it comes to kids films, one can't deny that Pixar have taken the genre to, ahem, infinity and beyond. Terrible jokes aside for a second, they have been more creative, more intelligent, more daring and more successful than any other group of filmmakers I can think of from the last two decades. Their latest release, the much-awaited final movie in the Toy Story franchise, does nothing to change my mind either.

Despite the usual trend set by the likes of Spiderman, Terminator and Die Hard, this third installment is just as funny, clever and brilliant as its two predecessors. Sure, the narrative is as simple as they come and it's nothing more than a prison break movie inspired by the likes of The Great Escape, but it's so full of wonderful set pieces, sharp dialogue and loveable characters that it's impossible not to be swept along for the ride.

Moreover, Toy Story 3 wears its inspiration on its sleeves and has so much fun with clichés of the prison break genre that even the adults who see this film will love it. In particular, there's a spectacular skit on Cool Hand Luke in which Buzz Lightyear parodies the famous speech and there’s a clever scene spoofing the ex-con-with-a-troubled-past convention involving a morose stuffed clown reminiscing on a happier time.

Where it does improve on the two previous films though is in its emotion and its tension. It's a surprisingly touching film about friendship and loyalty at its heart and I certainly felt a sting of tears coming on during a number of moments in the story. But at the same time, especially for the younger viewers, it's got quite a few shocks and scares. In particular, the demonic musical monkey who’s in charge of the daycare's security and the old, broken baby doll are two of the most frightening villains Pixar has brought us despite their short roles. Even Lotso Bear, the film’s main antagonist, is a creepy character reminiscent of John Huston’s role in Chinatown.

But, like the two films before it, what truly makes Toy Story 3 shine so brightly is its ability to find so many outstanding ideas in the simple concept of using toys as the main characters. Whether it’s the hilarious scene as the characters furiously trying to reset Buzz's system only to change the settings to Spanish, the great opening sequence set within a young Andy’s imagination as he plays with the toys or even the entire Barbie and Ken sub-plot which showcases Pixar’s writing at their most brilliant.

It's not perfect and, to me, it will never reach the standards of the original Toy Story, Monsters Inc. or Wall-E, but for 90 minutes I became a 6 year old boy again viewing the screen with a childlike wonder which has been long gone, and for 90 minutes I didn't have a single care in the universe. Isn't that what the cinema was made to do?

Oh, and if it couldn't get any better, sat in the row in front of me was none other that Sean Connery himself sporting not only a pair of 3D glasses but also a huge smile on his face. That in itself is a sight you'll never see again.

4/5

By Daniel Sarath with 2 comments

2 comments:

Hahaha, on the Connery part.

I just watched Toy Story 2 and was sitting there for about 50 minutes thinking "why is this good? what makes this special beyond disney channel tv renditions they can cough up?" While slightly humourous, it was nothing profound and I was otherwise untouched (don't get me wrong, the first film is a masterpiece and was probably the first film I'd ever seen and I saw it last year in its cinema release and <3'd it). Since, well, how to put it.. my entertainment from films is digging around its subtext and relating it to myself, and life in general. I'm supposing the most poignant theme is how to deal with change (also Woody's moral dilemma is great for a family film situation), accepting that the worst scenario is not changing at all. I like that. Remains at a 7/10 for me, while the first is 8/10. I refuse to download the third even though I know it's on there, hehe.

Considering styling and structure (the ironic sense of humour and the very short term experience time frame), how similar is the third?

If they’re your main criticisms of Toy Story 2 then I think you’ll LOVE this new one. It's not quite as good as the first, which I agree with you is an absolute masterpiece, but it is better than the second.

Trust me, you won’t be left untouched by Toy Story 3. I’m admittedly a bit soppy when it comes to movies, but even I was caught off guard by how moving it was! I couldn't believe that I was choking back tears over little pieces of plastic. :P Haha.

While the second one was more about the character’s dilemmas, there are strong themes of loyalty, friendship and betrayal that run right the way through this one. I guess they make the movie relatable to your own life. Also, I have just finished reading The Guardian’s review of the film and they pointed out how it had a “class-conscious edge” to it too. So there are certainly a few things to find under the surface here.

The usual ironic sense of humour is there in Toy Story 3 and, in fact, it's just as clever as the first movie in the franchise. One character jokes about seeing how much they’re worth on eBay, there’s a hilarious love affair between Barbie and Ken, there are method acting toys, one key character is tortured by having his button turned to ‘reset’, and how the attic has connotations of purgatory while the day care centre is, at first, almost heavenly are all examples of its witty humour. :)


I'm not sure what you mean by the time frame, but if it’s what I think you mean; it only takes place over maybe 2 or 3 nights. :)

And as for Connery... I have to admit that I was completely starstruck when he walked into the cinema. I wanted to shake his hand, but I felt unworthy in his presence.

Post a Comment

    • Popular
    • Categories
    • Archives